Friday, September 18, 2009

a word from the photographer

I left the rest of the crew in Xai Xai on Wednesday after having an amazing meal at one of the local restaurants, I travelled to Maputo and arrived just after 8PM and slept at a backpackers (it was filled with mad European beer drinkers).
4:30AM the next morning I geared my bike up and loaded the Komatiepoort border post on my GPS, it loaded and off I went, the very next road the GPS told me to turn right (straight into a one way) and there they were, the cops the bribing corrupt cops, they stopped me and informed me I'm traveling in a one way and how very very very wrong this is. I calmly told them I'm very sorry and to write me a fine so that I can pay it immediatly at a local police station, they said no, I must pay them 1200 meticias right now. I told them that won't be possible as I don't have any cash on me, he said "OK, so just give me 100 meticais and you can go." Right there I thought mmm this bribe could be my ticket out of here, this is when the other cop said "no man there are two of us, you have to give us 100 meticias each".
I said no problem, lead me to the closest ATM and I will get you the cash, I started my bike and just rode off and waved!
I went trought the border post no problem and arrived in JHB at 4PM.
My trip is over. How was the trip? Totaly amazing, insane, hard, hot, a huge learning curve on a bike. I will let my pictures do the rest of the talking.
New pictures will be loaded soon.

Cheers!

Desmond

No comments:

Post a Comment